Friday, May 7, 2010

Hypocrisy..... it's An Asian thing

While I am having a really nice conversation with an acquaintance of mine, I promised myself to write this eccentric but a justified thought that my mind stumbled upon.

So here I was driving today to Bengali Square and out of no where I start singing "Duur" an old number by a very famous Asian Band Strings .... to introduce you all ignoring kinds. Strings is a rock band from across the borders.. yea you guessed it right It's from PAKISTAN!!!

Oye stop raising those eyebrows!!! We Indians love arts and really don't let our bias for Pakistan come in between the music and the arts. Strings well what to say about them a really nice band they touch everything from love to love lost to the glorification of women folk and most importantly some of their songs even talk about the sadness in fighting each other and that we all have the same almighty up above. However their music is very unique it has this very fresh appeal to it at times its very minimal and the String guys abstain from being boastful in their music and though their Vocalist Bilaal has a strong resemblance to Bono and the music at times seems rip off of U2 OK more than at times..... Sorry I forgot to add IMHO(In my humble opinion) prior to my last statement . Anyway I was talking about the hypocrisy being an Asian thing to start it of I would also like to mention this is what I have noticed and may not be true but still I am willing to generalize it.. the folks across the borders they have this huge attitude towards music and feel that it is their birth right to discard antything that is Indian and just highlight Indians love for the Music and Art across the border and dismiss anything Indian what they fail to accept is they make the shittiest movies ever and thrive on the shittiest Indian movies. This is called hypocrisy in my language but I just wanted to throw a light on it.

Coming back to the Indian side of earth. Don't you think we have too much obsession of liking artists from across the borders more because they are from across the borders and less because they are good at least I feel so. Agreed Ghulam Ali is still magnificent but so is Pankaj Udhas and the magnificent Jagjeet Singh. I feel many of our biased love for Pakistani artists have made our own artist who were equally good sleep empty stomach. Bringing this theory of hypocrisy in today's context how us Indians love Aatif Aslam, Jal and Strings. I have already told how Strings is a U2 Rip off, Jal is an averagely talented band with nice makeup kit n better saloon I guess. Aatif Aslam is a diffferent case he has this really great voice I mean how talented he is can only be heard singing some high notes in the voice of a donkey!! Indians idolize him. More of it can be seen in the Indian media and the reality shows, all of a sudden we are not able to find a single singing talent in our country we look across the border make them larger than life. The airplay that Strings Aatif and Jal receives is second to none actually. When an Indian band goes to those channel head they say this form of music doesn't sell like String ain't rock and its not in Hindi like Raghu Dixit, Swarathma and Indian Ocean are in Latin!! Surely this is Hypocrisy!!

What is depressing is that a number of quality Indian bands have never been featured in Indian Television. I as a music enthusiast feels let down and disheartened that bands Like TAAQ, ZERO, JYG and Soulmate haven't been featured in Indian Television and by the look of it wont be featured any real time soon. Though there is Launchpad but the sad realities behind launchpad you can ask to Reverse Polarity!!

I don't know how to end this train of thoughts except saying that Hypocrisy is an Asian Thing!!

1 comment:

  1. the indians bands are known only by there fans....well in the case of pakistani bands or artists...indian composers copied there music in some films, when people came to know abt it.. the band got appreciation and producers signed the band for their next film so this is how they came into indian music industry .... ...i think people dont want to listen to the talent they have got in there own country....

    ReplyDelete